search
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Submenu does not expand with type menu item alias

Submenu does not expand with type menu item alias 24 Oct 2017 07:31 #8024

• belinifm
  • User
I'm using the cinch menu in accordion mode, and I realized that when the submenus are of the alias item type (link pointing to another Joomla menu link) the menu does not expand and does not show the submenus. Detail, if the menu links point to simple articles, everything works.

Using link alias item is important, so I will not have different URLs pointing to the same page, this interferes with site statistics, and also confuse search engines.

Try to make a menu of this format, all pointing to single article:

- Home
- Item A
  - Item A.1
    - Item A.1.1
    - Item A.1.2
    - Item A.1.3
    - Item A.1.4
  - Item A.2
  - Item A.3
- Item B
- Item C

Create an empty menu called "sub menu".
Make a copy of Item A for this new sub-menu, use the Joomla batch button.
This new secondary menu will have a structure similar to this:

- Item A
  - Item A.1
    - Item A.1.1
    - Item A.1.2
    - Item A.1.3
    - Item A.1.4
  - Item A.2
  - Item A.3

Create the cinch menu module (disable Plus/Minus option) pointing to this new submenu, and make it rendered on your portal, in my case it appears as the left menu when I click on Item A, in the main menu, you need to make the right associations.
At this point it will be working properly, follow the next steps to try to simulate my problem.

If you change all menu items to alias item, which points to the corresponding item in the main menu, to have a unique URL for these items, you will see that clicking Item A.1 will not display the submenus Item A.1.1 through A. 1.4. My whole site is using this structure, in lots of sub-menus.

Before I did not see the problem because all menus pointed directly to the pages, but when I started to worry about SEO, I realized that this is a bad practice. It is best to have only one item (URL) pointing to the resource and the other submenu points to the first, keeping a single URL for the same resource.

I hope it has been clear and can help me with this.
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2017 07:34 by belinifm.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Moderators: dig814

On Point Newsletter

Stay up-to-date with all things Pixel Point Creative!

Explore

Your cart is empty.